Fort Bowyer was constructed by the U.S. Army during 1813 to guard against possible British attack. This small log and sand fortification was attack twice by the British during the War of 1812. The first attack made by four British warships and a combine force of British Royal Marines and Creek Indians came on September 15, 1814.
The ensuing battle was total American victory. One warship, the H.M.S. Hermes was sunk and the marines and Creek Indians were forced to withdraw. During a second battle which took place during early February 1815, a combine British land and naval force forced the vastly outnumbered American troops to surrender the fort. By the terms of the treaty that ended the War of 1812, the British had to return Fort Bowyer to the United States. Fort Bowyer defended Mobile Point until the early 1820's.
Construction on Fort Morgan began in 1819. The fort was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers mostly through the use of African-American slaves. Brick and mortar were the only materials that could be obtained locally. Other essential construction materials such as finished granite, sandstone, iron work, and cement had to be shipped by water from New York.
The fort was known as the "Work on Mobile Point" until April 1833 when it was named to honor Revolutionary War hero General Daniel Morgan. Fort Morgan was completed in 1834.